Monday, September 8, 2008

If I only knew back then...

Life has such a funny way of making you laugh at yourself. When I was in college I thought I was SO busy and SO stressed. I mean how can someone be expected to make all these life choices about career and the future when they are working so hard in class. I should mention that is the only responsibility I had. Money was still coming from dad, school was paid for and my Nana would even sometimes do my laundry! Seriously, the hardest choice I had to make was Crickets or Chimmys?

Then you get married. The first experiences of living with a boy. Having to cook and clean for someone else. Having to pay bills rather than get a new outfit. I mean serious sacrifices right?

Then I got a job teaching. Working 8 hours a day with 6 year olds then coming home and trying to be a good wife and friend. It seemed pretty exhausting.

Then you get pregnant. Not only do you have the same responsibilities as before, but I literally could fall asleep driving home. My feet hurt like never before and I'm starved. This has been my "poor me" attitude I have been carrying around with me the past few weeks.

Today I had a conference with a mother from my classroom. She is also 6 months pregnant and is working full time. When we were trading stories she mentioned how when she gets home her two other kids need help with homework, dinner, soccer practice, etc... It hit me that this is another time in my life I'm going to look back and think "If I had only know how good I had it back then."

I write this to say that I am so thankful that it is just me when I get home and I can sit and do nothing. When we have # 2 I'm sure these complaints will seem laughable. To all you mothers of multiple kids. More power to you and this prego lady will stop the complaining asap!

3 comments:

Caryn said...

Love it, the previous phase always looks so simple in retrospect!

angie said...

aren't you smart to realize all of that!! I have to admit that I definately don't look at my pregnancy time as "easy", but it sure is worth the result!:)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the blog! I know in about 5 weeks I'm going to be saying, "wow, one kid was really easy, WHAT was I thinking?" haha!!